Jerk Lamb Shank with Sweet Potato Mash
This dish is yumo! The Gods Jerk Lamb Shank with a Sweet Potato Mash is a recipe you can just pop in the oven or slow cooker and leave for a few hours.
- Serves 4
Ingredients Lamb Shanks
- 4 x lamb shanks
- 4-6 x tbsp plain gluten-free, 1 Tsp sea salt & black pepper (flour for coating the lamb shanks)
- 3 x tbsp olive oil
- 1 x large onion (chopped)
- 2 x carrots (chopped)
- 3 x bay leaves
- 3 x Large red cayenne chillies (cut in half with seeds left inside)
- 3 x cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 x tsp ginger
- 12 x sprigs thyme (chopped)
- 4 x tbsp of Smokey BBQ Jerk Sauce
- 2 x 400ml coconut milk tinned
- 2 x 400g chopped tinned tomatoes
- 400ml gluten-free beef stock
- 3 Tbsp Gods of Sauces Thai Chilli Jam
- 2 1/2 x tsp turmeric powder
- 1 x tsp coriander powder
- 1 x tsp cumin powder
- 2 x tsp All spice powder
- 2 x tsp yellow mustard powder
- 1 1/2 x tsp black pepper
- 1/4 x tsp ground clove powder
- 1 x tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 x tsp chilli powder
- 1 x tsp cinnamon powder
Sweet potato mash
- 3-4 Large orange flesh sweet potatoes
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bunch spring onions, finely chopped
- A sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper (plus 1 tsp sea salt in the water while cooking)
- 3 x Tbsp butter
Instructions Lamb Shanks
Heat oven to 160C (3-4 hours) or use a slow cooker (4-5 hours on low). Lightly coat the lamb shanks with plain flour.
Pour the oil in a casserole dish or roasting tray large enough to fit all the shanks. Spend a good 10mins slowly browning the seasoned lamb all over. Remove the lamb and set aside.
Mix all the dry spices - turmeric, coriander, cumin, allspice, yellow mustard, black pepper, clove, nutmeg and chilli.
Add the chopped onion and carrot, red chillies and cook for 10mins until starting to brown.
Stir in the herbs, dry spices, star anise and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
Stir in the tinned tomatoes, coconut milk, Thai chilli jam and Smokey BBQ Jerk Sauce, season well with salt & black pepper then pour over the beef stock. Return the lamb shanks to the pan. Bring to a simmer; cover with a lid or tightly with foil and cook in the oven for 4hrs or until the lamb is tender.
Instructions Sweet Potato Mash
Peel potatoes and roughly chop into fairly large pieces, place into a pot of cold water with the garlic, salt and bring to the boil
Turn the heat down to a gentle simmer and cook for 25-35 minutes until the potato is soft.
Drain the liquid using a colander; place the cooked sweet potato into a bowl and mash using a potato masher.
Add the freshly chopped spring onion, thyme and parsley then season with salt and pepper.
To serve, place a large spoonful of seasoned sweet potato mash in the centre of a clean plate, place one lamb shank on top then cover with the jerk gravy and a tablespoon of Thai chilli jam. Now Enjoy!!!